Wednesday, December 26, 2007




Kiss You Goodbye (English Translation)
Wang Lee Hom

Baby please don’t cry
This scene is all too familiar
Holding your hand tightly, neither of us wanting to let go
Thoughts flood my mind, but I’m afraid to break the silence
Give me just one more moment
To capture your face in my mind’s eye

Joy mingle with heartache
A deluge of contradictory emotions
Tears of despair cannot defy the significance of true love
The love that I have poured out, I cannot take back
The love that remains, I can no longer give
Don’t take my heart away, to follow you

*Every time we part
I’m deeply crushed by you
Every time I’m torn from your embrace
I’m overwhelmed with pain
Every time we part
Every time I kiss you goodbye
I have come to recognize the bittersweet taste of love

Joy mingle with heartache
A deluge of contradictory emotions
Tears of despair cannot defy the significance of true love
The love that I have poured out, I cannot take back
The love that remains, I can no longer give
I have come to understand what it really takes to love



2 comments:

shutterblogs said...

I had a few moments to reflect on East Asian love songs and Western. While uncertain which opinions you hold, I am betting that you will agree with the following.

The areas of feelings East Asian love songs touches are commonly deep, unsettling emotions that yearns for the love and attention of the other man/woman. Slow tempo, almost always piano tunes and sometimes violins and/or flutes. Frequently, the song's about their relationship and yearning for more. Almost always invokes tears? It's what the Western would probably label it as sad love songs.

There just aren't many so as to be noticeable in western songs. Or maybe I haven't listened enough to make a credible claim.

The western people are more forward in pursuing romance, but I tend to reserve the opinion that they are often not deep and rooted enough as Asians are (in general).

It's kind of funny in a strange way that Asians have been singing about the love they cannot have. Or at least the contents of this song by Wang Lihon has no matching counterpart.

Your translation of the song was fabulous!

ichaViolet said...

well, there were several songs he made which meant 2 b dedicated or inspired by his passed love, the one he had to let go. the one fans directly knew was a song titled 'mary' in this album (heroes of earth)